Urshan is excited and prepared to welcome our students for the Fall 2020 semester. Departments campus-wide have worked together to implement strategies and wellness protocols to keep the campus as safe as possible. The health and well-being of the Urshan Community is essential, and every member – students, faculty, and staff – plays an important role in making this reopening a success.
The following protocols are to be applied to the entire Urshan Community. This is a complex, challenging, and fluid situation which continues to evolve rapidly. All information on these pages is subject to change as deemed necessary by Urshan leadership in accordance with guidance and recommendations issued by federal, state, and local public health and government officials.
General Safety Protocols
- Wear a Mask: All students, faculty, staff, and visitors will be required to wear a face mask inside any buildings on campus, as well as outside when 6-foot distancing is not possible. Employees will be permitted to remove their masks when alone in an individual closed office space. Read tips for best practices to wear and wash your mask.
- Physical Distancing: Observe 6-foot distancing in all campus spaces, including hallways, offices, classrooms, meeting rooms, common areas, and all residence hall areas other than a student’s dorm room (more on residential life protocols here), where possible. Avoid close contact with people who are ill or who are exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19 including fever, cough, and difficulty breathing or shortness of breath. More on social distancing here.
- Wash your Hands: Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Hand sanitizer stations have been added in many locations on campus. Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands. Immediately wash your hands again after touching your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Cover sneezes or coughs with tissues, if possible, or else with a sleeve or the inside of your elbow. Immediately wash your hands after coughing and sneezing.
- Small gatherings: Limit gatherings to 10 or fewer, with social distancing still applied. Help protect your fellow Urshanites.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces and objects.
- Comply with all posted signage, occupancy requirements, and screening protocols.
- Regular self-monitoring: All campus members will be responsible for regularly monitoring their general health, including taking their temperature and being especially mindful of COVID-19 symptoms.
- Stay at home if sick and/or displaying symptoms of COVID-19
Protocols for Cleaning and Disinfecting
- The Main Building (A) on the Urshan Campus will be sanitized weekly.
- Professors are required to disinfect classroom surfaces immediately following each class session.
- Housing staff and volunteers will daily sanitize common areas in the residence hall.
Protocols for Arriving on Campus
- Upon move-in, anyone entering the residence hall will be required to undergo a temperature screening. Students and their guests are encouraged to properly wear masks and practice social distancing in the weeks prior to move-in.
- Employees are required to sign-in daily, affirming that they have not exhibited COVID-19 symptoms, tested positive, or been in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 within the last fourteen (14) days, with the exception of employees who 1) have received a negative COVID-19 test result since the start of symptoms, positive exposure, or positive test or 2) have received a positive COVID-19 antibodies test result.
- All other visitors are required to affirm the same information as employees upon arrival to campus (in the lobby of the Main Building [A]), as well as provide their contact information, the name of their Urshan contact, and whether or not they have traveled oversees in the last 14 days.